Monday, May 21, 2012

From Rags to Rugs

I cut up some old t-shirts and crocheted a rug.  (Update:  I've received a LOT of hits from Pinterest.  I've added instructions at the bottom.)


It measures about 22 inches across.





This is just a basic single-crochet circle.  Toward the outer rings, it seems to have turned into an octagon, but I followed the directions here to make a circle.  I used 2 strands of t-shirt yard for the first 8 rings because I wanted my rug nice and thick.  But then it was clear that my colors weren't going to make it around each ring as double strands, so I switched to single strands.  The final ring is done in slip stitch, because I didn't think the yellow would make it around in single crochet.

To cut up the t-shirts, I just make a 1" cut on the side seam at the bottom of the tee.  Then start cutting a 1" strip around the t-shirt, spiraling upward.  When you make it all the way around, you have to turn diagonally to keep a continuous strip.  Keep going all the way up to the arms.  Here is a good alternative too - http://www.relevedesign.com/how-to-cut-continuous-t-shirt-yarn/.

Any questions, please let me know.

6 comments:

  1. The colors are very cool together. Looks like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone wants me to post instructions, please comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instructions added. Sorry for the delay, been bogged down with lots of things.

    ReplyDelete