Saturday, December 17, 2011

More Christmas Crafting!

In high school art class we did batik.  I always wanted to do it again.  But using hot melted wax to draw designs on fabric is not so easy.  A couple years ago, I ran across instructions for a batik project using Elmer's Glue and Acrylic Paint, in my Family Fun magazine.  I made the fall banner and it was a lot of fun.  I thought it would make a good Christmas decoration.  I decided to make a couple of pillows, backed with fleece, and using the batik prints for the front.

I first had to come up with designs.  I used sheets of freezer wrap paper.  I drew 16-inch squares, and also drew two midlines to properly center my designs.  I tried to just randomly place designs, but that didn't work out.  I didn't trust my free-hand, so I traced various cookie cutter images.




I then went back and traced over with a Sharpie marker.  I needed the images to really stand out as I was going to put them under a sheet of plastic, with my cloth on top of that.


Then, seeing my drawn images through the fabric (I used muslin), I traced each item with Elmer's Glue.  You have to let it dry for 24 hours.  Then take a paint brush and wet the fabric all over.  Then I started dabbing various paint colors where I wanted them.  Where ever the glue is, no paint will flow.

Then let that dry--mine took many hours.  Then you soak the cloth in warm water for 30 minutes and rub off all the glue.  I then ironed each piece and sewed to my fleece.  Stuffed, stitched, and voila!





As you can see, where ever the Elmer's Glue was, the fabric stayed its original color--which was off-white.

Here are side shots, so that you can see the fleece on the back.


This was a fun project.  And I don't even sew!

You can find better instructions here - http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/glue-batik-banner-785331/

No comments:

Post a Comment