Sunday, August 3, 2014

A Day at Woodward

Lydia and I planned a trip to Woodward Park last week.  It was lovely--both in beauty and weather.  We arrived in the morning while the temperatures were still cool, which is wise as it easily reaches 100° here in Tulsa in July and August.

Our visits to this park in the past were always in springtime when all the lovely azaleas, redbuds, dogwoods, and tulips are in bloom.  I told Lydia that we weren't likely to see many flowers.  While the main area of the park was mostly green, there were many lovely flowers to be seen.

This first picture is in the Linnaeus Teaching Garden area.



A lovely waterfall in the same area.



Droplets of dew on a spider's web.



Some of the many beautiful flowers we didn't expect to see.



A rose in the rose garden.  It seems that pictures of roses don't ever turn out as I want.  Perhaps an overcast day is better for pictures.  The photo I took just seemed to have too much sunlight, if that's possible.  I wanted to see the details of the rose petals.  So I tweaked it in my photo editor.  I don't know, perhaps I went overboard.



A wild rose.



We found the old, hollow tree we've taken pictures in so many times.  Lydia didn't want to fully climb in this time.  I think there was a spider web across the entrance.



Another pond area closer to 21st Street.



Lovely lily pads.



Photo op at the cave/grotto.



I love the natural stone steps.



At the top of the staircase, we happened upon a birdie.  Lydia froze and observed, and speculated on what type it was.



I zoomed in.  I said I thought it could be a juvenile robin.  There were a couple of Brown Thrashers just out of the shot and this little bird didn't look like them.  Lydia said she would look in her bird book when we got home.  Mental note: bring the bird field guide next time!



We found these bugs all over a specific type of plant.



My favorite is to photograph little flowers close up.  I'd love to have these next three framed and hung somewhere in my house.





This tree was impressively large.  We had to get a picture of Lydia with it to show the scale.



And I don't believe I've ever noticed the baby fawn before.  Perhaps he's a baby Tumnus or Brigadier Major General Goatlegs.  :)


After our morning at the park, we enjoyed a lovely French lunch at La Madeleine.  We then came back to the park for a bit and sat with our windows down and read three chapters from Anne of the Island.  We really didn't want to miss out on our daily lunchtime reading.  Finally, we finished our outing by touring the 4-H Free Fair at the fair grounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment